- Recursive has a nice link about common misconceptions about liberals and conservatives.
- The business story of the day the Sears and Kmart merger.
- Andrew Sullivan makes the right contrast and comparison between Abu Ghraib, the fatal shooting of a wounded man in Fallujah and what the insurgents where doing there.
- In my new theme of, “Values held in the minority disappear once you are the majority”, I give you an NPR story on how house republicans are considering a rule change to allow indicted members to remain as party leaders, in order to shield DeLay. The rule they are considering overturning was made as a “we are more ethical then you” reaction back when the democrats where in a similar situation.
- NASA set a new air speed record for air breathing engines, 10x the speed of sound.
- dbt and Andrew Sullivan points to a Washington Post article about a local community and church defending a local homosexual against Fred Phelps’s organization.
Day: November 17, 2004
JWZ Explains That The Roomba Isnt Quite Ready For
JWZ explains that the Roomba isn’t quite ready for prime time.
NPR just started a new mini series on the mix of Muslim identity and Europe by Sylvia Poggioli. The first entry is “Europe, Islam’s New Front Line: The Netherlands“. One section of the city is known as satellite city because of the number of satellite dishes receiving Arabic content.
There are also a couple interesting pieces on Powell now that he’s resigning. The first is Robert Siegel talking with Richard Haass, president of the Council on Foreign Relations. Daniel Schorr comments on it in “Powell Served Country, Not Party“. Regarding Rice, “Rice Known for Loyalty to Bush” and “What to Expect from Rice at State Department“. The take from the pieces is that when countries talk to Rice they know they are getting the president’s official position, however they will lose a person who is the backdoor to the president who can talk negotiate and play advocate with other people’s positions. The more ideological position of Rice will cause a lot of friction in the service and will lose a number of senior people. The lack of Powell in the administration also increases the chances of groupthink.
Andrei Codrescu also a commentary on the death of intellectuals.